Alfred H. Gill papers
Scope and Contents
The Alfred H. Gill papers include numerous team photographs of the TPI football team and reunion photographs. There are four yearbooks, of which there is a letter from "Mary" and the others have a few messages from classmates. There is a photograph from his time at Camp Forrest, Tennessee during World War II and three postmaster declarations signed by Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- 1925 - 1944
Biographical / Historical
Alfred H. Gill was born in Dekalb County, Tennessee on May 26, 1908 to James Napoleon Gill and Ida Samantha Atnip. Under Tennessee Polytechnic Institute's football coach, Preston "Putty" Overall, Gill played center. He lettered four years in football, including one season that TPI was undefeated.
Gil served in the Army during World War II and when he retired he began a career with the U.S. Postal Service as both a carrier and postmaster in Silver Point, Tennessee. He passed away in Soddy Daisy Tennessee on March 17, 2000.
1.11 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
- College athletes Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College sports Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Football Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- School yearbooks Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tennessee Technological University. Golden Eagles (Football team)
- Universities and colleges -- Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Alfred H. Gill papers
- Megan Atkinson
- 2016 December 6
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Edition statement
- This is a second edition to what was previously only a container list.
Part of the Tennessee Tech University Special Collections Repository
1100 North Peachtree Avenue
PO Box 5066
Cookeville Tennessee 38505 United States