Algood Family Collection
The Algood Family collection primarily contains materials related to Henry Algood's pharmacy work, Fannie Algood's millinery work, and the Algood family's financial records. These materials would prove useful for research involving Putnam County, the town of Algood, and pharmaceutical practices in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
One volume containing Fannie Algood's records of payments for hats and hat materials (1889-1895), one volume containing records of pharmacy payments (1905), one volume containing a photographic film order log (unknown date), one volume containing Henry Algood's financial records with receipts and other items tipped in (1859-1861), one volume containing records of pharmacy purchases (1902-1907), one volume containing Henry Algood's financial records (unknown date), one volume containing records of pharmacy purchases (1900-1903), one volume containing records of pharmacy purchases and payments with other items tipped in (1923-1928).
Ten of Henry Algood's Tennessee Board of Pharmacy certificates (1899-1908), a letter from The Marsha Company Perfumers to Henry Algood (1928), Henry Algood's receipt from Warren Bros. Co. (1904), one volume containing a log of pharmacy purchases (1899-1900), a series of Algood family financial records (1933-1934), one volume containing Algood family financial records (1904-1906).
- 1859-01-01 - 1934-12-29
Biographical / Historical
The Algoods were a prominent family living in Putnam County. Joel Algood (1808-1861), for whom the town of Algood was named, was a civil engineer and Methodist circuit preacher who married his second wife, Nancy Wilson Moore Algood (1819-1897), in 1848. The couple had five children: William Algood (1849-1859), George Algood (1852-1854), Alfred Algood (1855-1925), Mary Algood Boyd (1857-1877), and Henry Brooks Algood (1860-1934).
William and George did not survive into adulthood. Mary died at the age of nineteen, only a year after marrying Houston Savage Boyd (1851-1881).
Alfred became an attorney and married Lula Payton Williams Algood (1861-1943), with whom he had two daughters named Virginia Wilson Algood (1897-1902) and Margaret Rosalind Algood Vaden (1901-1990). Henry, a pharmacist who owned Algood Pharmacy in Cookeville, married Frances "Fannie" Crutcher Algood. Fannie was among several local women who traveled around the country purchasing women's hats and accessories to sell in the Putnam County area.
The Algood United Methodist Church was built on land donated by Henry and Alfred.
.25 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Henry Brooks Algood (1860-1934), a druggist who owned Algood Pharmacy in Cookeville, was the son of Joel Algood, for whom the town of Algood was named. His wife, Frances "Fannie" Crutcher Algood (1862-1936) traveled across the United States purchasing ladies' hats and accessories to sell to the women of Putnam County. This collection contains ledgers, financial records, receipts, and other materials that belonged to Henry and Fannie.
Volpe Library, 1st Floor, 179, Stacks [Range: 15, Section: D, Shelf: 5]
- Algood, Frances (Fannie Crutcher), 1862-1936
- Algood, Henry (Henry Brooks), 1860-1934
- Millinery Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pharmacists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pharmacy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photography--Films Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- certificates Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- receipts (financial records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Algood Family collection
- Shannon Buford
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script